The Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, has announced its resolve to declare an industrial action nationwide if the Kaduna State government goes ahead with its plans to sack civil servants.
Mr Ayuba Wabba, the president of NLC in an interview on Monday.
Last week, Governor Nasir El-Rufai announced the plan to disengage civil servants in the state, citing fiscal reasons.
The governor said a significant amount of the statutory federal allocations to the state is being spent on the wages of public servants.
According to the governor, this decision is necessary to shed the weight and reduce the size of the public service of the state’s and save finances.
“Therefore, the state government has no choice but to shed some weight and reduce the size of the public service. It is a painful but necessary step to take, for the sake of the majority of the people of this state,” the governor was quoted in a statement.
The public service of the state should be less than 100,000 employees and their families cannot be consuming more than 90% of government resources, with little left to positively impact the lives of the more than 9 million that are not political appointees or civil servants.
“It is gross injustice for such a micro minority to consume the majority of the resources of the State,” Mr El-Rufai said.
Although silent on the number of workers to be sacked, the state promised to work with the Pension Fund Administrators (PFAS) to expedite payments of the contributory pension benefits to cushion the effect of the disengagement.
Mr El-Rufai also vowed to give “preferential treatment to those disengaged that are willing to take advantage of the state government’s various agricultural and entrepreneurship development schemes.
He also said 90 per cent of over 20,000 teachers laid off by the El-Rufai-led administration in 2017 are yet to be paid their terminal benefits.
Mr Wabba said the NLC at a meeting of its National Representatives Council decided that the workers in the state should down their tools, after which a nationwide solidarity strike will follow if Mr El-Rufai insists on the planned retrenchment.
So as I speak to you, that decision has already been taken by the national representatives council. The national executive council of the TUC and NLC will meet on Thursday to actually adopt that decision.
When it is adopted we’ll give you a specific dates time on when the decision will be taken.
He added saying that the NLC has written to President Muhammadu Buhari to call the governor to order.